Sunday 9 October 2016

Diana talks to - John Cahill


John M. Cahill is author of The Boschloper Saga.


This series is set in late 17th-century New York and, through the eyes of a young, Irish fur trader, Sean O’Cathail, explores the turmoil between the Dutch fur traders, their Iroquois allies and their French and Indian adversaries. Primitive Passions, Book 1 of the saga, was released in Spring 2015. Book 2, Savage Wilderness, is available from 27th September 2016 from W & B Publishers

 

I was fortunate enough to be able to chat with John Cahill at HNS16, though by chat, I mainly mean 'burble incomprehensibly to a charming and exceptionally patient gentleman'...
Fortunately it did not put him off answering any off my questions ...

If your books were adapted into a TV show or a film, who would you like to play the lead role?
I think Sam Heughan (Jamie Frasier of “Outlander”) would make a great Sean O’Cathail, even though he’s Scottish and not Irish.
*
If, as a one-off, you could write anything you wanted, is there another genre you would love to work with, and do you already have a budding plot in mind?
I would love to write a hard-boiled crime novel (a la Raymond Chandler), but have too much on my plate at the moment to seriously think about it.
*
Do you have any rituals and routines when writing?
No, not really. I do most of my writing in the late afternoon-early evening, between 3 and 8 pm, so I always take time for a tea and cookies break at about 5.
*
Marmite? Love it or hate it?
As an American, I had never even heard of Marmite until I was asked this question. Luckily(?), it was available at breakfast during the Historical Novel Society 2016 Conference in Oxford. When I opened the package and was assaulted by the smell, I almost didn’t try to taste it. Then I figured in for a penny…in for a pound, and spread it on a corner of my buttered toast. Now, I can expertly declare, “Hate it!”
(I am sorry I giggled at that, John. There is no happy medium with Marmite, it is an all or nothing thing! There are 'some' good things about England though!!)
*
Other than writing full time, what would be your dream job?
I spent my entire career in and retired from my dream job. I was one of those really lucky people who finds the perfect job and stays with it. For 34 years, I did public health education and social marketing for New York State government.  I had a blast using public relations and advertising tools (ads, jingles, cartoons, comic books, computer games) to reach people with important health messages.
(What fun that sounds. I can tell how passionate you are about it from your response.)
*
Coffee or tea? Red or white?
Definitely coffee before noon and tea afterwards. I much prefer red over white, but will take a Riesling with seafood.
*
What font/fonts would you choose for your book?
Times Roman. It’s a nice, clean, serif face that is easy on the reader’s eyes. And, isn’t that what it’s all about?
(Yes!)
*
 If you could get hold of any original source document, what would it be?
By this, I assume you mean an original copy of the document. If so, I would love to have the original of Governor Thomas Dongan’s City Charter for Albany, New York.
 
*
Are there any ‘real’ characters you have been tempted to prematurely kill off or ignore?
No. Luckily, I have been able to integrate the most important real characters into my stories, and to keep them busy.
*
Are you prepared to go away from the known facts for the sake of the story?
I am prepared to do so, but have not, as yet, found a need to. The major historical events around which my stories are built allow room for improvisation without impacting reality.
*
Do you find that the lines between fact and fiction sometime become blurred?
Of course. I fully believe that the job of the historical novelist is “to fill in the gaps.”
*
 Have you ever totally hated or fallen in love with one of your characters?
Not yet, although there are some governors of New France with whom I wouldn’t want to share a meal.
*
What do you enjoy reading for pleasure?
Anything by Bernard Cornwell. Other than that: Crime novels ( Ian Rankin, John Sandford, John Grisham, Philip Kerr); American Civil War history and fiction ( Shelby Foote, MacKinlay Kantor, Michael Shaara, Jeff Shaara); The International New York Times (although, lately, it hasn’t been all that relaxing); and, the “Peanuts” comic strip.
*
What drink would you recommend drinking whilst reading your latest book?
Irish whiskey; Irish Stout; or a nice Dutch beer, such as Amstel or Grolsch.
(Naice!!)
*
Who is your favorite historical author?
Living: Bernard CornwellDead: Kenneth Roberts
*
Click on John's name to learn more about John and his work.
 
Thank you John. Very enjoyable answers.
 
© Diana Milne July 2016
© John Cahill September 2016

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment